Sunday, August 27, 2006

Meowmmy.

Been down with asthma since Thursday from the smell of chemically treated wood. I'm currently exiled to my room until the odor goes away. :-(

*****

The first floor ceiling boards were taken down last Friday, and the guys who did it retrieved three cute orange kittens. Our adopted feral stray Gold probably found her way and kept her litter there less than a couple of weeks ago.

But when we attempted several times to show her the kittens she ran away hissing. She kept coming back to the open space above our dining room, calling out to her kittens, but every time we took them to her she greeted them with hostility.

The asthma kept me in bed most of the time but today I had to go out to buy a pet feeding bottle and a puppy/kitten milk replacement formula with a desperate hope to keep the kittens alive. I was glad the Marikina Veterinary Clinic was open on a Sunday evening (they were on overtime, thank goodness) and the assistant there was very kind with my request.

I did a quick detour to Filbars to pick up my copy of Eternals #3, then I went home immediately. My mom and the spawn-machine had the kittens wrapped in towels when I arrived. I tied braided colored string around each of their necks so we can easily tell which one we have already attended to. (They've temporarily acquired their names from the color coding heh heh.) Then came the hard part: teaching the kittens how to feed from a bottle.

They rejected the silicone teat at first, but Blue was a fast learner. He was the biggest of the three, and the noisiest, too. Ang cute cute niya! First time kong maka-experience ng bottle feeding ng kuting. Ü The other two, Red and Yellow, weren't as active. They looked like they might not make it. (Their skin showed signs of dehydration.) My mom started to use a dropper to force feed them instead.

After the kittens had had their fill, I started stimulating their bowels. Apparently, mommy cats lick the kittens' behinds to stimulate the flow of pee and poop because very young kittens can't do it on their own yet (I learn new things everyday!); as the new mommy I get to do the dirty job (no, I did not lick, you filthy freak, I used a damp Q-tip). When I did it to the first kitten, all my feelings of disgust were replaced with curiosity and amusement. Heh heh.

(I got tips from the awesome people over at cat's lair. Thanks everyone!)

I really hope these really cute kittens survive. It will make risking my asthmatic lungs and spending all that money worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment