I was reading through what must be the 12th or 13th chapter of American Gods when a memory of Nico and myself flashed through my mind. It was odd, because I remember it in the third person, seeing myself and Nico walking arms around each other behind Wincy and in front of me (the part who sees this particular memory block) in the crowded streets of Malate. (It's just this scene that does this sort of thing. The other parts are in the first person.)
Over the phone Nico tells me that 'it's creepy', seeing things that way. Come to think of it, it is creepy and weird. I can even will myself to remember again, and it just goes on playback in my head. Wikked. Heheh...
***
I just got back from a late tapsilog dinner at a nearby pares joint. I think I'm already full. Nico dropped by earlier this evening, a bag of Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream in hand. (Wheee! Thank you! Tataba na naman ako hehe...) He played with Zarah's Brainstring (which he solved) and was introduced to my puffalump pet, Meryl Sheep. She now rides with Nutter Butter the Reese pillow in the Lancer in lieu of Mingoy (who is with me and Snoopy). I hope she doesn't throw a tantrum or something.
***
What did I do last weekend? Lemme see...
Friday: Met up with Nico at the ukay below Freedom Bar (at nakabili ako ng navy blue sweater with superdeformed Ultraman design na nahanap ni Nico). I dropped by the Quill event and paid Mayo my utang from the 2nd hand stuff that I bought off him. Then we headed for Big Sky. Late nagsimula 'yung gig, as usual. Narda played first, and that was a good thing. We got to leave soon after. I had two beers, which turned out to be too much for someone who hardly drinks nowadays. I slept through the trip home, and more than that. Nico tells me he was parked outside the house for about an hour before I came to.
Saturday: is freeloader night. :-) I went to Katips to meet up with Nico. We went to Ponkan (Ryan's house) to meet up with the other guys. Ryan and Camille were watching a serious Jim Carrey flick when we got there. Wincy, Katwo and NewYork arrived minutes later and we left for A Veneto to claim our free dinner. We literally ate more than we could chew. The food is good, but best of all, it's for free. (Woohoo! Thank you, Wincy!)
Wincy, Nico and I headed for Republic of Malate to see the Vagina Monologues starring Tami Monsod, Jaya and Jenny Jamora (Marie Boldstar's sister). I've seen it before, but it is still a pleasure to experience all over again. Jaya did the parts that Dulce Aristorenas originally played. She did a good job, but Ms. Aristorenas was really a tough act to follow. Tami Monsod was excellent in the role transitions, as always. Jenny was--- WOW-- better, way better,in fact, than her predecessor Monique Wilson. And Jenny's nice, too. She put us in her guest list. Hehehe...
After the show we walked around Malate. We checked out Pride Exchange (yeah, that fetish store in the Nakpil-Orosa area) to see if they had any of those bubble bags that I bought there a couple of years back (no, they didn't have those any more). We walked around some more and ended up in Café Breton, sipping our chocolate and strawberry milkshakes (again, courtesy of Wincy) beside the bay window area where we could see all these people, dressed up in their gimmick-best, waiting for friends or strangers to come and chat them up. After that, we decided to go home.
Sunday: Slept really late and woke up early to the sound of the blaring t.v. (a.k.a. the alarm clock). Actually it was a coincidence that the t.v. turned on just as I woke up startled from a weird dream (Nico shouting at me regarding some olfactory complaint-- whatever). Met up with a tardy Joey Halo ('Sunday is not my day,' he tells me) at Ministop Katips. We picked up Chino and Paolo silentsanc at EDSA corner Quezon Ave. soon after. (I rolled down the window and asked 'Magkano kayo? Kayong dalawa?' as Joey unlocked the doors.)
We went to Zarah's house. No, not the one in U.P., not the boarding house. We went to her house, the one in far away Malolos, Bulacan. Her family is throwing a thanksgiving party, for her mom who recently underwent a successful operation, and for Zarah who is graduating this Saturday at ADMU (Congrats, chief!!!). The trip was not too long as I imagined. To pass the time we talked about Paolo's porn chat encounters on Yahoo, among other things. Hehehe... (Although there was cause for panic, there were lots of signs along the highway that tells us we were en route to Pampanga. Anubayun.)
We picked up Zarah at the friendly neighborhood Jollibee franchise and she led the way to her house. We lazed around the couches-- I was reading my book, Joey a magazine, Paolo and Chino were toying with the Brainstring. As soon as Zarah mentioned the word 'kain', we all dropped whatever we were doing and stood up at the same time, with (I shall dare say) 'patay-gutom synchronicity'. Hehehe...
Ang sarap ng food!!! Crispy pata (fun times!), those little crabs (na paborito ko), inihaw na baboy, two kinds of pasta, ube ni Zarah, leche flan, buco pandan at marami pang iba na di ko kayang ipagkasya sa tiyan ko. Grabe, kabusugan at its finest.
Shempre sabi ng nanay ni Zarah kelangan kumanta kami bago umuwi (yeah, they had that videoke machine, sayang wala si Jazz hehe). We had to convince Joey to sing para makauwi na kami. Sabi ko kakanta ako ng Mandy Moore, at si Chino kakanta ng Ricky Martin (which we did) basta kumanta lang siya, any song of his choice. Ayaw pa rin. Finally na-convince namin siya. He sang 'Boys Don't Cry' (The Cure)-- kupaw version. Now we know why Twisted Halo doesn't let him sing in the album. Hehehe... (joke lang, Joey!) ;-)
Ayun, nakauwi na rin kami. We made good time, we left Bulacan a little after four and I was at Nico's house before six. Humiga ako sa couch sa den nila habang naglaro si Nico sa pc. After dinner we watched Stanley Kubrick's Lolita on DVD (Ryan's copy) and the tail end of Minority Report on HBO. I was really sleepy after watching one and a half films, so Nico took me home soon afterwards.
(The latter movie is good, in my opinion, except for that one flaw where they should have barred John Anderton's ID via retina scan from entering the premises of Precrime as soon as he was dismissed from the job. Lolita the movie is taboo and weird in the Kubrick kind of way, but I guess that's the whole point of the story anyway. I wish I have read the book, I only have Nabokov's screenplay version.)
So there, story of my life. The weekend past, anyway. (And what a good weekend it was, having spent the memorable parts of it with Nico. Yihee.)
No comments:
Post a Comment